Monday 11 July 2011

News of the World Taints Us All

Bought the News of the World this week. It seemed like the least I could do, to support sacked fellow journalists, innocent but tainted by the dreadful activities of others. It seems most of the staff at the NoW have been hired in the last three years .

Still, I never would work for the Screws as we called it, despite having the chance many years ago. It was a personal decision, but it always seemed to me that even among tabloids they would take everything just that one step further than I wanted to go. Rummaging through dustbins was not my style.

The last paper looks good, full of the many successes. Sara Payne says thank you for the support she received. The Fake Sheik did excellent work exposing the shady dealings of the rich and famous. Then there it is, for me, the step too far. The picture of Ian Huntley, a monster who murdered two little girls, sitting in his prison cell. It won Front Page Of The Year at the British Press Awards.

It's a striking picture, clearly a first, so that has been recognised. I want Ian Huntley to rot in prison. I have no interest in seeing him sitting in his cell. The headline read "How the Hell Were We Able to Take this Photo? I've no idea, but I can bet it involved skulduggery. That's how they operate.

No one in their right mind would have messed with Milly Dowler's phone. No one with any compassion intercepts the messages of bereaved families. Journalists generally are degraded by all of this, so if I'm not as sympathetic as I should be, that's why.

No comments:

Post a Comment