Monday 28 November 2011

Celebrities or War? Tough Choice

Total time and money waster this Leveson business. So speaks a hack who has doorstepped a celebrity or two in her time. Let me save them all the trouble. Let's all agree that:

Phone hacking is wrong, though I still don't know how they did it. I have never met a reporter with the techie savvy needed. They had to rely on someone else for that. Had I wanted to I could have got Milly Dowler's number from one of her friends. Or given Joanne Rowling's child a letter to put in her bag for her mum. Easily done.

We all know when a line is crossed. Unless we are sociopaths and not many of those make it into journalism. Celebrity mags are not journalism. They are fantasy, none more so than the headline which put me off a job there. It was " I Was Raped By My Brother The Vicar." Even I could see that was a pile of horse crap, and this from one who shared a page with Freddie Starr's famous hamster.

Interesting to see how this inquiry differs from the Chilcot investigation into the Iraq war. Taken so much more seriously. In Times 2 today they ask: "Is this the end of our obsession with celebrity?" and on the same page is, " I was falsely imprisoned by Boy George." That would be a no then.

No comments:

Post a Comment