Monday 14 November 2011

Tempting Botox Curry

Have a curry and risk botulism or not? That is the question. I've got a jar of a well-known sauce in the cupboard. Balti, a firm favourite.Today there's a scare with the korma version after two children have been taken to hospital with botulism poisoning.

Now what? Do I make the curry anyway, say nothing and feel fairly confident that all will be well? Or do I ditch the jar and avoid the brand because if there is even a tiny chance that my kids could get a very serious infection I would never forgive myself?

Logically I know that would be a massive over-reaction. It's only one jar, of a particular batch and botulism itself is rare. Emotionally I take all of that in and then decide I don't want to touch the stuff.

Makes you think how much we depend on the standards of the food industry to ensure that what we buy is safe. If I'd missed the news today chances are the curry would have been fine tonight and we would all have been none the wiser. As it is I think we are looking at good old fish and chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment