Monday 14 October 2013

Pills or a Jog? No Choice really


Taking a woof for a walk always lifts the spirits. I've got two dogs right now, double the work and dirt but a good antidote for depression, so they say. I don't doubt it.
Doctors are told to stop pushing pills and suggest a good brisk walk instead. Got to save the NHS millions. Add a dog and the job's done.
Except it isn't, is it? I've never had depression, but I have lived alone and there were weekends when I spoke to no one. A walk through the woods was a no go. Coffee toute seule? Forget it. Never needed pills. I had a busy job to go to on Mondays.
Other people survive for weeks like that. They get very down. Bad things happen. Depression slips through the letter box with the bills. It takes them all their time just to get to the doctor's, never mind a brisk stroll around the park admiring the daffodils. So let's not save too much cash this way. The price for some people is just too high.

No comments:

Post a Comment