Wednesday 4 December 2013

For Love Or Money?


I thought foster parents loved their kids. That's what put me off doing it - having to part with a child I cared for. Today I am confused, because it seems many kids in care have panic attacks at the thought of turning 18, when they have to leave.
The system says they can go at 16 if they want, but two years later and you are definitely out pal. Many struggle, get involved with crime or end up pregnant.
It's staggering. You've looked after this child for years, given him birthday parties, Christmas presents. Treated her like one of the family. Then the money stops. The state no longer supports. That's it then is it?
No where to call home in the unlikely event they make it to university? A B and B and a hostel for Christmas? Now the Government is helping, saying they will be able to stay put until 21. It has to be a step forward, yet I find the whole thing very disturbing. Was it all about the money then?

No comments:

Post a Comment