Wednesday 5 October 2011

Brian Cox Has the Answers

Sexy Brian Cox - let's call him Brain Cox shall we? has just finished a megga scientific book on the structure of the universe only to be told he's probably wrong. Scrap it, Einstein was working on duff information.

Recent experiments show neutrinos traveling faster than light. Bit of a bombshell. Not news to me though. I came across neutrinos way back in primary school. That's subatomic particles, not a new chocolate bar. A kid called Vernon coughed in class and the teacher said, "That was possibly a tiny particle passing right through you, interfering momentarily with your vocal chords." I never forgot it. You don't forget a name like Vernon.

Now it seems billions of neutrinos are passing through my brain at this very second and I am totally unaware of it. The beauty of them is that they, "react only very occasionally with everyday matter, " according to Prof. Cox. He's thrilled there's new data out there on the block. Gives him something to focus his considerable talents on.

Me, I'm all for neutrinos too. I reckon that all of those billions, storming about in there, must bounce off each other, just occasionally. Law of averages. So they are to blame every time I go to the fridge and totally forget what I'm after. Or when I cremate the dog's dinner. Sub-atomic shenanigans, no less.

No comments:

Post a Comment