Saturday 15 October 2011

Poverty? Tell me about it

I'm mad. Someone else is whinging about the poor. Again. Even if they have been there they still have no idea.Take Caitlin Moran. She talks in The Times today of "push starting the car." She had a car? With petrol? She was also fat. Nobody in my house was fat.

She talks of sleeping on a mattress on the floor. We had beds, but we too had coats on them. This is sounding like a Monty Python sketch - beat me in the poverty parade. Hole in the road for a home etc.

Not going there because some of the stuff I lived through I'm still ashamed of now. Years and years later. Like Caitlin I got out. Unlike her I'm not rich. Never fancied underfloor heating. Wouldn't want to eat at Pizza Express three times a week. I'm not poor either.

Neither of us went to university. We used our brains to get jobs instead, to help the family out. Benefits had to be begged for and mostly they were refused. So we worked. Later on the job gave me a great life, one I could finally brag about. Flying business class to Hong Kong, yes I did that too.

Fact is Caitlin, hand-outs are not the answer. Getting off your arse is and always has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment