Friday 7 June 2013

Prince Philip Pulls It Off

 Prince Philip knows his place. I can vouch for that. I've been up close and personal and seen him in action.  No one does second fiddle better.
My chance came at the Derby when as a young reporter I volunteered to ask the Queen a question on behalf of the scaredy press pack.
I called to her. She ignored me. Miffed, I asked again and this time she turned on the full glare of the headlights with an imperious " Yes!" Philip melted away. The wife  can cope, he clearly thought. I stammered out the agreed question: " Did you have any money on the winning horse - because you looked so excited? " And she gave me a huge smile and said:" Oh no my dear, I never bet!"
 Good old Philip was always exactly right for the Queen. He's boss at home but leaves the ruling of a nation to her. It's a hard call to pull off but he does it with aplomb, always with a wicked sense of humour.  He surely had a good giggle atr my expense. We all wish him well and out of hospital, hopefully in time for his birthday, because the man is a legend.

No comments:

Post a Comment