Sunday 16 June 2013

Tears You Can't Dry

Love talking to strangers on the other side of the world and getting their news back. That's Twitter for you. Trouble is, your heart bleeds for them sometimes and there's nothing you can do to make it better.
Take my mate Salty. I think that's her tears. She's young, beautiful and facing surgery tomorrow. Again. This time she will lose the last of her colon. You don't miss it till it's gone and then - God do you appreciate a healthy gut! She's having to choose between a bag and a pouch. Can't help her there. Can't stop thinking about her either.
Since my son had life-saving surgery I've wanted to get stuff like this out in the open. A strictured gut means terrible pain. Don't mention fistulas. Nobody wants to talk about it, a bad gut floats nobody's boat.
So I wrote a fun book and promised to give half of anything I get to research. Crohns and Colitis UK will benefit, but Devil Deal by Liz Freeman, £1.53 on Amazon, is escapist. It's a thriller with jokes and travel thrown in. People seem to like it. I wanted to get away from the crap that is Crohns. Maybe Salty in Australia will get a laugh out of it. She's getting precious few of those. Good luck girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment