Tuesday 14 December 2010

Maddie Mortimer's Gift

Today I'm not trying to be funny. Hit and miss at the best of times. Today I'm sad for a young girl who lost her mum to cancer on Friday. Her name is Maddie Mortimer, she's 14 and she has a younger sister Bella, aged 12.

I've been following her mum Katie Pearson's column in the Times about coping with disease and a new dog. It's been amusing, but recently a dark shadow fell over it, when she revealed doctors had told her there was nothing left to try. Katie went home and dad Marcus had to break the news to their girls.

Maddie tells it like it was in the Times today. I won't even try to describe it. Her words are the right ones. How she found them staggers me. She wraps her grief in love and makes a present of it to her mum, her family and the rest of us. I think she is amazing. Read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment