Tuesday 30 July 2013

Angels Give Patients A Devil Deal

Nurses are too busy to give the right drugs or treat bedsores. Both can cause death - so  exactly WHAT are they too busy with? I've been there, seen them, and while I can't praise some NHS staff highly enough I've also seen the other side.

Nurses too busy to put up a drip for someone so close to kidney failure they have been admitted as an emergency. Dangerously dehydrated - yet not treated urgently. My son left that ward without even being offered a drink of water, let alone the promised drip.

The care he received elsewhere was exemplary - though seldom from the nurses themselves. A brilliant surgeon saved his life - but bad nurses were everywhere. Things have to change.
I do not want to find fault with nurses - my own sister is one, and a more caring person you have never met. Yet no one can deny that In hospitals the priorities get skewed, as seen by the shocking fact that nine out of ten nurses admit to missing basic care, like proper drug regimes.

They can't blame paperwork, that doesn't get done either, obvious from the fact that my son's details were written on a discharged person's notes. Bedpans take forever to arrive, so it's not that, and elderly patients  have to be able to feed themselves or go without. What are these tasks that take up so much nursing time? I'd love to know

PS Im helping sick people through my book Devil Deal, by Liz Freeman, now out on Kindle and via the free Kindle app. I've just sent off my first cheque, for £71, to Crohn's and Colitis UK, as half the profits from each £1.53 sale, $2,99, go to medical research. It's just a small start.  A huge thankyou to everyone who bought Devil Deal, a sexy suspense novel. It's had great reviews so please get it and help keep the fund-raising rolling along! Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment