Sunday 14 July 2013

French Fancies and a Posh Chef

Nobody wants to have a go at the papers these days, seeing as they are all still smarting from the inquiries and court cases. Give them a break, I say. Not for me to have a go, having passed many a happy hour with the best of Fleet Street myself, once upon a time.
Then I pick up the Sunday Times mag. Pretty girl on the front, teeth deep into a chicken drumstick. A tough call that, looking pretty, beehive hairdo and lips wrapped around a wodge of roast bird. Still, she pulls it off. She's the new Sunday Times cook, Gizzi Erskine. Nice. Great name for a cook, seems right somehow.
Then I take a look at the rest of the pic, and apart from the well-mauled chicken there's no cooked food at all! The table's covered in goodies, but what with the bakewell tarts still in their silver foil cases and the pink icing on the french fancies it's clear thet Mr Kipling has been hard at work but nobody else has.
Why would you do that? Have yourself pictured promoting your new cookery job  with a pineapple, a melon,  some tomatoes and shop-bought cakes? Add a couple of glasses of fizzy plonk  for class, obviously. I'm sure she's a great cook. The recipes inside seem fine, but I find myself tempted by those french fancies, always a favourite of mine. The ST upstaged by Mr K, Times must be hard.
 PS If you like the way I write get Devil Deal by Liz Freeman, FREE on Kindle until midnight Sunday, July 14. Not got a Kindle? Download the free Kindle app and read it wherever you want. It's a fun summer read, plenty of twists and turns and getting rave reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment