Wednesday 3 July 2013

School Payout For a Lucky Few

How much is little Sam worth  then? Does he get a fiver, a tenner or nothing at all? Most kids at my girl's last school will get nothing. Apart from a dictionary they will never open. What a system! It causes grief every year as parents wonder why their little darling is so undervalued.
Now cleric Rev Hugh Rayment is saying prize giving is wrong, because it celebrates the success of a few while others are "left with the gently corrosive sense of not being  quite good enough."  He's right.
 I totally agree with him. My girl couldn't get any cash - she  joined the school in year four, too late to qualify. So that was fine. For others, the issue was much more visceral. It hurt them deeply that another child was worth more money than theirs. Silly but understandable.
No one could understand why the cash was given at all, or why it could not have been divided equally among all the leavers. The Head never explained.  It soured the last day at junior school for almost everyone. Such a shame.

PS If you like what I write please get my book Devil Deal, Liz Freeman, an ebook of the week. It's a thriller with funny bits and I've priced it at £1.53 on Amazon so that I can sell as many as possible and give half the profits to medical research. A cause close to my heart,  so thankyou  everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment